Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Journal 5: AIGA Gain Conference, Jonathan Harris

Summary:
- Jonathan Harris is a computer programmer and web developer whose goals center on bringing humanity back into the digital age. Initially, Harris was an extremely hands-on person when it came to art and design, filling sketchbooks with elaborate thoughts, paintings, photos, objects, and more. But after losing 8 months of work in a mugging, he heavily reconsidered how he should develop his ideas, so he turned to computers and the web as a means of creating. Subsequently, in his numerous projects and extensive coding and isolation, he became increasingly separated and depressed. Harris's lecture was a summation and address of how technology is shaping how humans socialize and interact, and while technology may make things efficient, humanity is changing in way Harris fears isn't beneficial. So he resolved to create digital applications for the rapidly growing digital society that reinforce human interaction while keeping up with the times.

Reflection:
- Harris brought up many issues I myself am having this semester in terms of design. I understand that it is necessary to step away from my computer once in a while, but I often feel I work so slow and meticulously that often I fear that I don't have time to step away from my homework. Sure I'm sleep deprived, often giving up social time for homework, plus a lot of computer work involved, but that's the major. I understood and agreed full-heartedly in Harris points, and from this I will attempt to balance humanity and graphic design.

No comments:

Post a Comment